Preparing for an Interview
Before you interview for a position, learn as much as possible about both the role and the employer.
If you found the position through a recruiter, he or she should be able to provide that information for you. If not, conduct research on the Web, visit the library, and/or tap into industry contacts.
Questions To Ask
After you have studied the company, make a list of questions to ask the employer:
- Why is this position available?
- What training programs are available to the person in this position?
- What are your goals for this position?
- What obstacles must be overcome for the person in this position to succeed?
- How will my performance be evaluated?
- What opportunities are there for growth in the next 12 months?
- Two years? Five years?
- What growth do you anticipate for your firm in the next 12 months?
Questions You May Be Asked
Your recruiter should be able to give you a good idea of the hiring authority’s personality, his or her typical interview demeanor, and a few important questions that the employer is likely to ask:
- Tell me about yourself.
Keep your answer in the professional realm only. Review your past positions, education, and other strengths.
- Why are you interested in this position?
Relate how you feel your qualifications match the job requirements. Also, express your desire to work for the employer.
- What are the most significant accomplishments in your career?
Identify recent accomplishments that relate to the position and its requirements.
- Describe a situation in which your work was criticized.
Focus on how you resolved the situation and became a better person because of the experience.
- What do you know about our organization?
- How would you describe your personality?
- How do you perform under pressure?
- What have you done to improve yourself over the past year?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- Are you leaving/did you leave your present/last company?
- What is your ideal working environment?
- How would your co-workers describe you?
- What do you think of your boss/previous boss?
- Have you ever fired anyone? What was the situation and how did you handle it?
- Are you creative?
- What are your goals in your career?
- Where do you see yourself in two years?
- Why should we hire you?
- What kind of salary are you looking for?
- What other types of jobs/companies are you considering?